Wednesday, November 3, 2010

His pleasing and perfect will...

Summer. It seems so far away, yet as I write this i'm trying to decide what to do for my summer of 2011. It's crazy isn't it? Here we are in November of 2010, with a semester and half of school in between us and summer and i'm still sitting here pondering what to do? And truth be told, I hate making decisions. I'm awful at making decisions, i'm so wishy-washy and horrible at pinpointing what to do. That's why I choose to rely on God! :) His will for us is so important in this lifetime. I strive to do what is intended of me by him and follow his ways. When thinking ahead to the summer I've been feeling as if God has laid on my heart the urge to be a servant as a camp counselor. I've thought about it for a few years now and wanted to do it, but never really felt like the time was right. Now, I still can't decide if it's what i'm supposed to do or not. That's where prayer comes in and scripture. My mind weighs the options of what to do as well. I sit here thinking if I do go off and be a camp counselor, I'll be gone practically the whole summer. However, if I stay in Manhattan, i'm pretty sure i'll be living in the little brown box all by myself. If I go home, home, I could potentially have a job that lasts for a month... but then what?

So, here's when I throw all of my reasonings out the window and rely on solely his word to help me through my decisions. Here are some great, reliable verses I love...

Psalm 16:7
I will praise the Lord who counsels me; even at night my heart instructs me.

This verse is about seeking his will first!

Then there's the part in the Lord's prayer that says
Matthew 6:10
Your Kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.

A true favorite of mine is:
Proverbs 16:9
In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps.

The funny thing is, as I was journaling these bible verses, I looked down at the bottom of the page in my journal where either scriptures are listed or spiritual quotes and the perfect verses was there. This is one of my go-to verses, I learned it when I was young via a sing along VHS tape of Proverbs that I loved, and it's stuck with me ever since :)
Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on you own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him and he will make your paths straight.

Here are two more good ones:
Ephesians 5:17
Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord's will is.

Romans 12:2
Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.

So, as a result, i'm going to focus less on what I want to do this summer and more on what God wants me to do this summer. Because, it's not about me and it's all about HIM.

John 3:30
He must become greater; I must become less.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderfully said Anna :) Life is full of choices and we are so blessed to have God there directing us and nudging us where to go and what to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anna, thanks for sharing. I'll be praying for you as you decide what to do this summer. If you want to spend your summer serving in the mountains of Colorado, check out Cross Bar X Youth Ranch. God is at work there!

    ReplyDelete